People Who Enjoy Reading My Blog--do you?

Monday, August 10, 2009

Mozzarella Cheese Class

Today three ladies came and took a mozzarella cheese class. We had lots of fun with them. Here are some photos of what we did:
Jane is heating up her gallon of milk

Draining the whey


After pouring heated whey over her cheese curds, Lynn begins to stretch the hot cheese

Now Rachel is STRETCHING hers!

After stretching, comes the shaping part, big and little braids, knots, and balls is what they made

Each one kept her own notes...

I like when people come here for mozzarella cheese classes. I love watching everyone having so much fun!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Did you make the cheese with goat's milk? I've made 30 minute mozzarella before, but haven't had much success lately.

Hannah said...

For the classes, we have the students bring their own milk. For this particular class the students bought the milk from the local dairy.

But yes, we do use the goat's milk for our own use in cheese making.
For the goat's milk mozzarella, we use less citric acid and handle it very gently when stretching it.

We have 2 cows and 3 does that supply us with our milk.
Our goats and cows are all grass fed and we don't give them grain, this really improves the flavor and texture of the milk and cheese, and is healthier for both man and beast.

If you would like our cheese recipe and some more tips let me know!
We would be very happy to help you.

Amy said...

I would appreciate your recipe. We have plenty of milk right now, but I'm at the blueberry farm twice a day during berry season and don't have the time or energy to experiment with cheese. So, I'll have to wait to try it until later. But I would be glad for the recipe and hints if you want to email them or mail them or post them on your blog. Thanks Hannah.