This morning when I woke up there was a heavy frost on the ground. It was beautiful! I thought this bright leaf looked so pretty laying there on the ground with the sparkling white frost edging it...
We went to an auction right near us this morning. We did not get any thing, but it was fun looking around. The auction was on an old farm. It is a beautiful farmstead. I hope whoever buys it takes the time to fix it up. The woman who lived there died. She was 105 or 109! Wow! I think she was the daughter of one of the Finnish settlers in our area. The farmstead was built by the Finnish settlers. That shows how old it really is!
And now I have to share with you the pictures of yesterday.
We went downstate to a farm and got 200 #'s of grapes. 100 # white, and 100 # red.
Our neighbor Zach came with us to get the grapes. He is showing us how to make grape wine. We have made some apple wine, but never made grape wine. So in these next pictures you will see the different things that we did...
Daddy and David emptying grapes into our one of our barrels...
The white grapes were SO delicious fresh, that I told Mama it was too bad they had to be made into wine (I don't drink wine). Mama asked the elderly man (the owner) if we could buy a pound or so for fresh eating. The man generously gave us some and said we did not need to buy them. That was really nice of him. Here is Nathanael enjoying some of the grapes...
This picture here is of the man's vineyard. Sorry that it is not a very sharp picture as I took it out of the van window...
Grapes...
Okay, now we are at Zach's. Here is where we picked over the grapes getting out all leaves, and any bad grapes...
Mama dumping some grapes into the crusher/stemmer...
The grapes being crushed...
This is the press. The black thing in the middle gets filled up with water until it stretches up to the outer metal rim. This squishes all the juice out of the grapes...
dumping in the grapes...
squish...
dump...
more sorting...
doing a test of sorts...
Enoch and Nathanael playing catch...
Oh yes, and on the way back from getting the grapes, we stopped and picked some wild grapes...
and wild pokeberries for dying wool...
This is a beautiful flower...I don't know what kind it is...do you?
Good-Night!
Today is October 1st! First day of bow season. David went out with his bow but did not see a hide nor hair of any deer. Which means of coarse, he did not get one.
1 comment:
We had a hard frost yesterday too. I just looked at it out the window and didn't get any fun pictures like your frost edged leaf.
We've been making grape juice the past few days. My sister also made some grape jelly which is delicious. We've been using a steamer to extract the juice, which is a much easier way than using the Victorio strainer like we used to do.
Post a Comment