People Who Enjoy Reading My Blog--do you?

Thursday, January 14, 2010

And The Mystery Picture Is... + a giveaway!!

A Bald-Faced Wasp Nest!
A Bit About The bald-faced hornet:
A North American insect which, despite commonly being called the bald-faced hornet (or white-faced hornet), is not a true hornet. It belongs to a genus of wasps called yellowjackets in North America, and is more distantly related to true hornets like the Asian giant hornet or European hornet, but the term "hornet" is often used colloquially to refer to any vespine with an exposed aerial nest. They are best known for their large football-shaped paper nest, which they build in the spring for raising their young. These nests can sometimes reach 3 feet tall. Like the median wasp in Europe, bald-faced hornets are extremely protective of their nests and will sting repeatedly if disturbed. As winter approaches, the wasps die — except any just-fertilized queens. These hibernate underground or in hollow trees until spring. The nest itself is generally abandoned by winter, and will most likely not be reused. Bald-faced hornets visit flowers, especially in late summer, and can be minor pollinators.
I find them very fascinating!!

Also, Gretchen at: Fashionably Modest Patterns is having a giveaway!!!
She is giving away a pattern for a lovely, lovely skirt and blouse!
You really should go and check it out by clicking the link above.
The giveaway ends on the 21st of this month!!!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Cora Beth said...

So that's what it is! Thankfully, we don't have many wasps around here and I've never seen a real nest of that sort before. Have you ever been stung by a wasp?

I'm so thankful to have never been stung by anything--which is actually rather amazing as, when my mom was so sick, the only thing that took the pain away was bee venom therapy (where you actually want the bee to sting a certain area--that's been well iced so you don't feel it. I know it sounds really strange, but we had tried practically everything else natural that we knew of and then heard of someone who was having great success with Api-therapy, so our friend started it for mother while she was at the health clinic and then, when she came home, it was my job to give the bee stings. I think we did it for a year, over which time, I dealt with over 700 bees!!! (Grabbing them from in a jar with a tweezers...) I still look back at that time in my life and can't believe I had the courage to do that, but the Lord was definitely helping me. One time, a bee escaped and landed in my newly washed hair that smelled or raspberry conditioner. I tried to stay calm and was able to grab him with the tweezers!

We were SOOOO glad when the Lord brought BodyTalk along and that that helped mother so much that she was able to stop the bee-venom therapy! Hooray!!!!! She's slowly regained her health ever since, and we are all so happy and are praising the Lord for His healing ways!

Sorry this got to be pretty long...! It's alright with me if you choose not to publish this comment, as I mainly just wanted to tell you and Grace (can you show this to her) that about the bees, as I don't think I've shared that before.

Goodnight and sleep well!
Love,
Cora

Jessica Rebekah said...

LOL, so that's what it is A Bald-Faced Wasp Nest! It looked like some tree bark from the other picture!

Anyway we don't have hornets here in SA but we do have lots of different kinds of wasps! I have already been stung by a wasp - three times in different places! Thankfully I'm not allergic to a wasp sting, but it's still very sore! A wasp nearly stung me on my lip too - now that would have been painful plus my lip would have been all swollen! Wasps don't like me! LOL :P So I am always wary when there are wasps around.

Well, it was interesting anyway to learn about The bald-faced hornet!:-D

~Jessica

Jessica Rebekah said...

LOL, so that's what it is A Bald-Faced Wasp Nest! It looked like some tree bark from the other picture!

Anyway we don't have hornets here in SA but we do have lots of different kinds of wasps! I have already been stung by a wasp - three times in different places! Thankfully I'm not allergic to a wasp sting, but it's still very sore! A wasp nearly stung me on my lip too - now that would have been painful plus my lip would have been all swollen! Wasps don't like me! LOL :P So I am always wary when there are wasps around.

Well, it was interesting anyway to learn about The bald-faced hornet!:-D

~Jessica

Jessica Rebekah said...

LOL, so that's what it is A Bald-Faced Wasp Nest! It looked like some tree bark from the other picture!

Anyway we don't have hornets here in SA but we do have lots of different kinds of wasps! I have already been stung by a wasp - three times in different places! Thankfully I'm not allergic to a wasp sting, but it's still very sore! A wasp nearly stung me on my lip too - now that would have been painful plus my lip would have been all swollen! Wasps don't like me! LOL :P So I am always wary when there are wasps around.

Well, it was interesting anyway to learn about The bald-faced hornet!:-D

~Jessica