People Who Enjoy Reading My Blog--do you?

Saturday, January 9, 2010

So, what has been going on?

Hi pals! This is going to be a picture post big time. I have been taking pics over the past days and have not been posting many and I thought I'd share some.

First of all, I'll post a few pictures from new years eve.
Here is my sweet nephew J. :

Happy little Izzy (as J. has sweetly nick named M. He calls him this because he always hears everyone saying "Where is he?" and J. thinks they are saying "where's Izzy?")

J. waiting patiently as grace dishes up the delicious...

...Homemade pumpkin icecream!!

When the clock struck midnight, Grace, Nathanael, and I all ran barefoot, no nothin outer-where to the stop sign at the end of our road and back. Enoch chickened out (or rather was too smart to race with us!!!) We are the last of two houses on a dead end road, so we don't get traffic at all. To the stop sign and back, it was probley almost 1/4 of a mile.
It was a cold nigh,t and I was pretty brrrrrr by the time I got back in the house!

Now for some more recent pictures...

Our largest icicle. By this time it is already touching the ground...

This is Nathanael. Mama asked him to take all the boots and shoes from the entry to the basement where we will keep them for the winter. He decided to what we call "a lazy mans load". Details of his time getting these boots down a narrow staircase into a very small Michigan basement are not necessary, but I will tell you by the time he got on the basement floor all the boots had fallen off. Oh, and he carried the dolly-cart in his arms most of the way. Him and I had a great laugh over the whole episode!

Cleaning cupboards...

Enoch made Mama a precious wood creation...

Baking biscuits to have with sausage gravy (big time yummers!!!!)...

And more baking!!! Mama mixed up bread dough and then I took it through the hours of pats and folds and the bake. They turned out really nice...

One of the 30 min. pats and folds...
Rising...
Baking...
Done!!
The crust turned out really well.
I just love handling bread dough. I like feeling the gluten sheet developing under my fingers.
I can hardly hardly till the joyous day comes when our certified kitchen is complete. And we can all bake together as a family. I was envisioning it the other day when we where all working together in the kitchen. We had a jumpy song playing on the radio and we danced as we made dinner. It was SO much fun!

Nathanael and I made some cookies together...

Enoch made several candles...

Mama went though some of our knitting and other wool things, and came acrossed the pair of socks that I have been working on for 5 years (I think).
I really want to get them done!!

On friday, we had friends over for clay oven pizza. Here are some photos of that...
Normally we make cheese for our homemade pizza, but our cow and goats are drying up and we don't have alot of milk. So, we bought some cheese!!
Grace and Mrs. S. putting toppings on the pizza.
The oven after David pushed the hot coals to the back...

Mama had a small florist that is in a near-by village deliver a couple bouquets. She gave them to me as a birthday present. I turn 16 on Monday.
They were and are so beautiful!

These are my two favorite flowers out of the bouquets...
The pink striped carnation,

and the lilies!!

I gave some flowers to G. and her little brother J. when they came for pizza. They are such sweet little children and where delighted with the flowers!
G. and J. again...
Grace reading...

David made and still is going to make more yummy corn chips from our corn.
First you boil the corn kernels in water and a little sake of ashes.
Then when they get really soft, he grinds them into a dough.
At this point with the dough you can either make tortillas or chips.
David made chips.

They are SOOO good!

Today, Mama, us girls, and the little boys went to my older sisters for a visit. We had a nice pleasant time. Enoch and Nathanael worked on clearing of their pond so we can go ice skating.
They got half of it cleared. I can't wait till we go skating!! We have to get some skates first. Probley from Jounque and Necessities. I have not been skating in YEARS so I will more than likely crash alot! And, when I did go skating several years back (I was probley 8) it was not really skating. it was more like zooommm....crash.....zoooommm....crash, over and over and over again!


I got a very special birthday card in the mail today from my Grandparents on Daddy's side.
We plan to go and see them on my birthday (monday). It is going to be nice!
A good friend of my Grandpa, who we call uncle Parker lives near them. He makes a famous ice sledding ramp every year that goes out onto a frozen lake where you can also go skating.
It is SO much fun. We might go there on monday too. Uncle Parker also is a snow sculptor. he does not plan on doing a sculpture this year though.
Well, you know what? It is late once again. Actually, it is late enough that I can say tomorrow is my birthday! So, I want to wish you all sweet dreams and good night!

Photobucket

25 comments:

Taylor said...

Wow, that was a lot of pictures! :D I loved the one of the huge icecicle. That's so cool! That pizza looks like it was really yummy too. ;) And the flowers you got for your birthday are gorgeous! I think the lilies are my favorite ones. :)

I hope you have a nice birthday tomorrow!!

Blessings,
~Taylor

MIgirls said...

Hannah,
Loved your pictures and narration of what's been going on with you all! I love that we can keep up with friends this way!
Happy "early" Birthday!
Mrs. Thomas

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Is homeade pumpkin ice cream really good? We had some store-bought pumpkin ice cream that was pretty nasty, but I'll bet it's way better homemade.

Cora Beth said...

Happy (a little bit early) birthday, Hannah!!!!!

This post was so fun to read! I loved ALL the pictures and especially smiled at hearing that you're going to try your hand (or is that foot?) at ice skating too! Andrew's been trying to line up a little skating/hockey party with friends when we go to Bismarck on Wednesday, so that should be fun. I'm not a very good skater yet, but don't fall down quite as often as I used to. :)

I could comment about so many things... about how cute your nephews are; about how amazing that icicle is; about how cold your toes look!; about how nice those wooden hearts look (and how we wonder how your brother made them...); about how lovely your bread is; and about how perfectly lovely your flowers are, but that would take too much room to write here, so I'll just say again that I really enjoyed this post!

Have a wonderful, WONDERFUL day tomorrow!!!

Love,
Cora

Kyrie said...

That was really a fun and beautiful post Hannah! In the couple of months I've been reading your wonderful blog, I think this post is my favorite! It gives such a refreshing sample of the simple, meaningful life you and your family seem to lead - I loved it! (although I should caution you about running bare-foot in such weather ! ;D )

Happy 16th Birthday too! Congratulations! I wish the Lord's blessings on your life, and pray He will teach you many valuable lessons in the coming year!

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

Your friend,

-Kyrie<><

Trusting in Jesus said...

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday BBBFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D Yes, G. S. and J. J. are really cute! I can't wait to see you and them again!!! :D
Have a fabulous birthday!!
Love you!
Beth

Jennifer said...

Great pictures!!! There was a lot! ;-) Happy Birthday! Everyone looked like they were having fun!

~Jenn

Rachel Grace said...

Hi Hannah!
I see that it is your birthday today, the birthday ticker is so very nice! So Happy, Happy Birthday Hannah!
Thank you for sharing all of the great pictures, I always enjoy reading your long picture-posts!
It looks like you had a wonderful new years eve! I can not believe that you went out it the snow without shoes on, you feet must have been FREEEEZZZING!
On new years eve my brother and father always shoot of our potatoe cannon that they made, into the field behind our house. But I am not so sure that out neighbors like it!

Cooking bread together must be so much fun! What type of bread are you making in the pictures that you shared?
Love you!
Rachel Grace

P.S. Is it my turn to send you a letter, or is it your turn to send one to me? I can't wait to mail you your birthday present :).
And sorry for the WAY to long comment!

Anonymous said...

Hannah,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! MANY, MANY MORE TO COME!! God bless you!

Mary C.

Olivia Esther said...

Such an interesting post, Love ya Happy 16 th birthday - OlIvIa-

Jessica Rebekah said...

Wow, great post and pictures! :-D
Looks like you had a busy week, but lots of fun!

Your nephews are really cute!
I've never tasted pumpkin ice-cream before!

Brrr, that must have been really cold, going outside barefooted on the snow - though mind you I'd probably try that out as well (if it snowed here in SA)The only problem is that when ever my feet get cold they go white and numb and that's terrible! :-P Anyway the snow looks lovely!

Yum, all those goodies you baked look good! That bread looks like rye bread.

Oh, nice - candle making must be fun!

LOL, you sound like me with your knitting! I'm still busy knitting my throw-over (it's like a blanket) that was "supposed" to be for 2007 winter! LOL I'm not even half way through with it! I also really want to get done with my throw-!

Home-made pizza, now that looks really good. Probably tastes MUCH better than bought ones! I like your pizza oven, it looks cute!

Corn chips, never tasted nor heard of them, but they look good too!

Your bouquets of flowers look so pretty and a pretty card too! Happy 16th birthday again Hannah! I'm sure you had a wonderful day!

God bless
Lots of love
~Jessica

Hannah said...

Thanks Taylor!

Hannah said...

I enjoy reading Jenns blog too Mrs. Thomas!
Thanks!

Hannah said...

I did Anna! Thank you!
And yes, homemade pumpkin icecream is really good. I have had the store bought kind before and I don't like it either!

Hannah said...

Thanks Cora! I am glad you enjoyed this post!
I think this is how Enoch made the hearts:
First he cut them out on the scroll saw. On one of them he made a small cut just big enough to slip the other heart through. Then he glued a little piece of wood in where the cut was and then sanded it so that way it could not been seen.
I think he did a great job!

Hannah said...

Thanks Kyrie! I am glad you enjoyed this post.
SOLI DEO GLORIA!

Hannah said...

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to you too, my BBBFF Beth!! I love you much!
I can't wait to see you too!
Hope you had a fabulous birthday also!

Hannah said...

Thank you Jenn! I did have a happy birthday. The last part of my day was VERY nice... I got your package in the mail when we got home from my grandparents!!! Love it! THANKS SO MUCH!!! You are such a sweet friend. I love you.

Hannah said...

Thanks Rachel!
The funny thing about my birthday ticker is that I never got to see what it said when it was my birthday because our internet was not working... and then when it did start working, my b-day ticker said "365 days 'till my birthday!"

My feet did get pretty cold... but it still was fun. The potato cannon sounds fun!! if I was your neighbor, I'd love it! Ha ha!

The bread that I am making is our natural leaven bread and the flour Mama used was a mixture of wheat and hi-gluten white flour.

It is my turn to write... sorry for taking SOOO very long! I wrote a letter today, and plan to put it in the mail tomorrow, so it should not be too long till you get a red envelope in the mail! =D
I can't wait to see what you are going to mail me =D I already know what I am going to give you for your birthday... but I won't say!!!

Don't apologize for the way to long comment... they are my favorite!

Hannah said...

Thanks Rachel!
The funny thing about my birthday ticker is that I never got to see what it said when it was my birthday because our internet was not working... and then when it did start working, my b-day ticker said "365 days 'till my birthday!"

My feet did get pretty cold... but it still was fun. The potato cannon sounds fun!! if I was your neighbor, I'd love it! Ha ha!

The bread that I am making is our natural leaven bread and the flour Mama used was a mixture of wheat and hi-gluten white flour.

It is my turn to write... sorry for taking SOOO very long! I wrote a letter today, and plan to put it in the mail tomorrow, so it should not be too long till you get a red envelope in the mail! =D
I can't wait to see what you are going to mail me =D I already know what I am going to give you for your birthday... but I won't say!!!

Don't apologize for the way to long comment... they are my favorite!

Hannah said...

Thanks Mary Cecilia! God bless you too!

Hannah said...

Love ya too Liv! i just got your card!! ha ha ha! I laughed my way through it... it is the perfect card to describe you and I!! Thanks! I had a very happy birthday!

Hannah said...

Thanks for your comment Jessica!
The bread I made was actually wheat/white mix. we do make rye bread though- it is SO good!
I was surprised when you said you never have heard of corn chips! They are very common here. But, I think potato chips are more common than corn chips. I like corn chips best, but homemade potato chips are good too. Can you get potato chips in SA?
I did have a happy birthday... thanks for the email you sent!
God bless you too.

Jessica Rebekah said...

Yes we do get potato chips, these are very common here in SA!

Glad you had a very nice brithday! :-D

~Jessica

Sarah said...

I enjoyed all of the photos, Hannah! What busy, fun, profitable, and enjoyable times you have been having recently!! And running barefoot through the snow?! Brr!! I'm sure you had fun, though. :)

The bread and pizza that you made look delicious! Homemade things like these just cannot compare to what one gets from the store. And your baked goods probably didn't last long after coming out of the oven! :)

And last but not least . . . Happy (belated) Birthday!!! :) I hope that it was a special one for you!