That is what I kept asking David this evening (no, late this NIGHT!) as he was doing his post.
His answers:
"No, but I will be soon."
"I am, almost-ALMOST!"
I am so patient. {pats her back}
No, really, It was a fun time. Daddy, Mama and Nathanael were all sleeping. David was writing. Grace was spinning. Enoch was reading. I was drinking some biTteR green tea Grace made (she does make it good when she's not tired!).
And we were all laughing.
Grace was trying to think of what she could do for a giveaway. Enoch and I were giving her ridicules suggestions. David was waving a thumbs-up in the air because Grace told him his blog is more interesting than hers.
And we were all laughing.
I really wanted to do a post about yesterday and today before tomorrow (whew, I'm tired. what funny wording!). Grace really wanted to do a post. David really wanted to finish his post. Enoch really did not care.
And we were all laughing.
David has finished his post (you can see it here). Grace is reading on "her" (it's actually mine and Enoch claims it as his.) striped comforter. Enoch is zonked off (his book is on the floor).
No one is laughing. . .
and here I am---finally!
YESTERDAY:
We went to the market. I believe you all know that by now! This market day was very special though. Some dear friends of ours who live in Sitka Alaska, were coming down to visit and planed to stop by the market and say hi! I could not wait to see them! It was only Mrs. Pierce and three of their eight children- Mary, Lydia, and Nathaniel. It was wonderful to visit with them. . . but I did miss the rest of the family!
Mary and Lydia:
Mrs. Pierce, Nathaniel, Lydia and Mary.
Here are some more pictures of our day.
Grace reading to the brothers:
Daddy, Mama, Enoch and I walked to the library. It was fun. The lilacs are already beginning to bloom in the city so I really liked that. Lilacs are my favorite flower!
Daddy and Mama walking:
Lilacs!
We stopped my my favorite sore (Oryana the natural food co-op) do get a drink of water.
Every Saturday there is a man there that plays his dobro. I always like listing to him play-- I really want to play the dobro! When we were there though, he was playing his banjo which I don't mind either. I think Enoch enjoyed that alot because he is a banjoist wannabe.
Usually when we walk to or from the library we would go on the train track and cross the water here:
But they have since put up a new bridge, so we used that:
We were not at the library too long. They did not have any of the books I wanted or this one dvd either. Oh well! Enoch got several nice reads though. I have plenty of books here to keep me happy but I really wanted to get the next books in a series I am reading!
We back to the market right after 2:00, so David, Grace and Nathanael already had the stand cleaned up and were waiting by the truck. We did a bit more shopping and then cam home.
Oh, I forgot to write. . . another family we know came through the market too when we were there. I did not get any pictures. It was nice to see them again. We also saw some other people we knew in the Menard's parking lot. And then there was another girl that I had met before at a friend's house and she came though the market too. wow! we never see that may people (that we know or know of).
Here are a couple "just for fun pictures" that I'll post before going on to today's going on's.
TODAY:
We all planted corn in the field. All of us except Mama that is. She was working on some things in the house.
It was about 1 1/2 acres that we planted.
David made each little 'mound' to plant the kernels in:
Enoch and Nathanael dropped in four corn kernels:
Daddy, Grace and I all covered them up:
Toward the end of the field Enoch and I switched places.
We have to drop in four kernels so I kept track by saying
"One for the Blackbird,
One for the Crow,
One for the Soil,
One to Grow!"
You can get going in a rhythm and it does not seems to take as long.
If we would get tired out or someone (or I) would start complaining, then I would sing:
"Let us not grow weary, in doing good, for in due season we shall reap!
If we don't loose heart, If we don't loose heart, in due season we shall reap!"
I figured approximately how many kernels we planted I don't remember the exact number but it was over 20,00. I think there was 8,500 hills but I don't know for sure- somewhere around there. We all got very sunburned. But I love working like that. I much prefer that kind of work to things like dishes and laundry, but those things need to be done too!
The brothers and I did go out mushroomin' this morning. Nathanael found 6 whites in our woods and Enoch found one grey in the federal forest. I did not find any and have not found any at all this year :(. It is not a "good" morel year. Some years we find a few hundred but we only found somewhere around 20 this year. Alot of times the years will go good and bad off and on, so maybe 2011 will be a good mushroom year.
This asparagus was planted many years ago in a field that now has pines planted in it. The asparagus comes up year after year so it is basically "wild". We like to go out and try to find it. We usually get quite a bit. It is just coming on. We had the asparagus for dinner with morels, wild leeks, stinging nettles, homemade noodles, and a gravy it was very good!
I'd best be off to join my family in Nod (except Grace, she will have to join us as she is still reading!)









6 comments:
I love your planting poem!
You all garden barefoot? I'm jealous... I'm not allowed to.
How do you make your nettles? We have SO many of them it's not even funny. If I knew how to cook them, we might eat some. Maybe. The fam is not as adventurous as me.
Blessings,
Cora
This was a fun post to read, Hannah! And I enjoyed seeing all the photos. :) It sounds like you have been busy lately, and that's great that you all were able to plant your corn! Hope it does well for you!
Wow... it looks like y'all had a busy weekend, Hannah! I love everything you shared at the beginning of the post. Very funny! :D
Thanks for the "recipe"! :-)
~Cora
Hannah, thank you for taking a picture of my walk with Daddy- he's such a great companion. Also, the platter of wild edibles, thanks, I so much enjoy this foraging season... you captured 2 delights of mine!
Love Ya,
Mama
What a wonderful, fun, exciting post, Hannah! I wish I had more time to comment on it, but I really must get to Nod-land as quickly as possible as I need to get up early in the morning.....
Sooooo, I'll have to be content for now with telling you that I really enjoy keeping up with what you all are doing on your farm through your blogs! :)
Blessings and goodnight~
Cora B
Post a Comment