"The Bridge": Everywhere except for the towns of Port Huron or Detroit, "The Bridge" refers to The "Mackinaw" Bridge.
"Doorwall:" Sliding glass door. This really is a weird one. Who thought this up? Anita Hayes and Dave Eno
"Fudgies": Tourists. Visitors to Michigan's Mackinac Island spend a lot of time in the gourmet fudge shops there, earning the local nickname "fudgies", which has spread to other tourist areas as well.
"Pasty": a meat-filled pastry dish, pronounced passtee, brought to the Upper Peninsula mining country by Welsh and Cornish miners in the 1800's. Most Trolls (see below) and Fudgies erroneously pronounce it paystee, which brings a whole new meaning to being hungry for a pasty. (don't go there). Stacey
"Trolls": people from the Lower Peninsula, who, in the minds of Yoopers, live "under the bridge." (still another from that Stacey)
"Trooper": a Troll that has moved to the UP (troll+yooper). Thanks to Nick Seidl fer that one, eh?
"Ashfault": Asphalt. It almost sounds like we're from Jersey, doesn't it? (this one sent in by Bob)
"Aent": Aunt. When you hear Will Smith talk about his "awntie", doesn't that just sound wrong?
"I-munna": I'm going to. I-munna head overta K-Mart's an' finda cup holder.
"Kiddycorner": Kitty-corner. Elsewhere in the US: "catty-corner". Local variation of "cater-corner," the actual original English word. "When I was a kid, we lived kiddycorner from the Brznickiwiczskiszaks."
"KI-nuh": Kind of. I dunno, I kinuh like Vernor's.
"LayKEERie": Lake Erie.
"Lie-berry": Library. That extra R just slows you down...
"Maahm": Mom. I was tockin' ta my maahm about goin' ta the maall.
"Melk": Milk. Tell 'em you waana glassa melk.
"Michiganderr": Michigan native.
"Mier": Mirror. Don' lookin the mier... yull breakit.
"Minnuhsoda": Minnesota.
"Muskeeda": Mosquito. The State Bird of Michigan. Other states have tried that "it's our state bird" thing but they don't have 11,000+ lakes either. I've seen them carry away cats . . .
"NAWzeeus": Nauseous. "Went ta Liddle Sleazers an' gah really nawzeeus. Musta been the pepperoni-n-shrooms."
"Night-meer": Nightmare. "I hadda nightmeer I wuz out in the wuds near Grayling, with no ammo.
"Er": Or. Ya know, it wuz like watchin bird er somethin
"Pahp": Pop. "Soda", in other parts of the world. Hey, do they call it a Sodasicle? I think not. "Let's stahp by SevenuhLeven and gedduh pahp."
"Pellow": Pillow.
"Pronounce-eation": Pronunciation. We don' alwayz pronunce it currec'ly.
"Reeelatur": Realtor.
"Ruff": Roof. Yo, Jack, ya lef' yer tools on thuh ruff.
"Samwich": Sandwich. Somethin' ya might have with melk. {I, Hannah, usually say Sanwich}.
"Seckit": Second. Wanna go graab a pahp an' a samwich? Gimme a seckit.
"SOWnuh": Sauna. A Finnish word should be pronounced in the appropriate Finnish accent common to da U.P., eh?
"Sisterr": Sister. Ahh, ya soun' like my sisterr. Draw out that rrrrrrr.
Sump'n": Something. Craig found some kinda animaler sump'n in the baackoviz Chevy
"Tempachur": Temperature.
"Thenks": Thanks. Also: "THENKyou." "Hey, Maatt, thenks fer thuh pahp. Yawanna nuther one?
"Tock": Talk. Say TaLk and ya soun like a Texin!
"Tie-ota": Toyota. Talk
"Tuh": To. It's hardta get inta the habita sayin' teeeoooo.
"U-sta": Used to. My deead u-sta work at th' Tek-Cenner in Warn.
"Vanella": Vanilla. "Didja hear? GM's got a new color for the Z34 body style: vanella."
"WEEK-en": Weekend. "Ya goin' huntin' this weeken?" "No, we're takin' Maahm's Chriscraft out on LayKeerie."
"Wuds": Woods. Be careful in the wuds... it's deer season.
"Yuh": You. How yuh (ya) doin'?
THE RIGHT WAY TO TOCK IN MISHIGIN IS TO:
tock fast,
slur yer werds together
clip all your hard consonants, like "t".
...__..__...__._...__.__..._.._._...
Clipping Consonants:
We rarely, if ever, make the "tuh" sound of a T... as we finish a word that ends in a "t", we don't actually say the "t"... instead we just stop all breath with our lungs. For example, "apartment" becomes "aparh' meh'" (Say it really fast, and DON'T SAY THOSE Ts!). There... now you've goddih'!
Telling Time:
"Quarter of three"? "Half past"? What does that mean? You may get a confused look if you say that to someone from Muskegon or Kalamazoo. Every good Michiganian knows that when speaking of time before the hour, you would say the word "to" rather than "of". You would also slur it together and say "ta" instead of "to"... hence, "quarter of three" becomes "quartertathree". You betcha.
Freeways
In California, they tell you to take "The 405"... in Washington DC, you get on "495". But in Michigan, since US, state and interstate highways can have the same number, interstate highways are often said with an "I-" before the number. So to get to Detroit's Metro Airport, you git in yer cahrr an' take "I-teoo-sevenny-five" to "I-ninedy-four". Sometimes called freeways, sometimes expressways, but it's rare you'll hear them called "highways".
Speaking of freeways, if you drive west along I-96 from Detroit to Muskegon, listening to radio stations along the way, you will notice the nasality of the Michigan Accent get distinctly stronger and stronger the entire trip
Company names as possessives
In the early 1900's, the Ford Motor Company's sole factory was known by people all over Michigan as "Ford's Factory", since it was owned by Henry Ford. Like a virus, this wacky mispronunciation spread to any large shrine of industry or commerce.
"Where do you work?" "Oh, I work at Ford's."
So "Meijer" became "Meijers", "Kroger" became "Krogers", Walmart became Walmarts, and inexplicably, "K-Mart" became... "K-Marts"! For the record, folks... there is no family by the name of "K-Mart" that owns that chain.
Pronouncing the Michigan A and selected "cahnsineh's":
A's are somewhere in between a short ă for the rest of the country, and a short ĕ. It's not "ahh" like what the doctor asks you to say... more like "aeh", with an emphasis on the "eh".
G's in verbs are usually silent. Notable exception: "tornado warning".
R's are always hard, and sound like a growl to a lot of people. Just think of a pirate. ARRRrrrr.
T's, when in the middle of a word and not supported by another consonant, are generally pronounced like a D (this is common in the US, but especially so in Michigan). "Little" becomes "liddle", "City" becomes "ciddy". When coupled with an "N", they get dropped like the useless energy-wasting consonants that they are: "cantaloupe" becomes "canalope", and "consonant" becomes "cahnsineh" (DON'T SAY THAT T!).
Okay, so maybe ya didn't think this wuz all that inneresting. But then agen, you migh have liked i'. Now, I will share some pichers of things nah everone has in there staeh. (Are ya glad I don' righ' in the way I tock all the time?)
The Bridge. Have any of my readers ever crossed it? I have maybe 5 times or so. It's really neat!
Tahquamenon falls. . .
I have seen them once when I was a baby (don't remember that) and once when I was 8. They are really pretty. I would love to see them in the winter. . .
Sand dunes along the lake- so fun to run down!
I have never been down the biggest one but my older siblings have.
A sunset on the lake. . .
Ice on the lake. . .
I have seen this before and it is beAUtiFUL!
oops, I didn't let the picture load all the way sorry :O
Fall colors. . .
Anyhow, I jus' did this pos' to sadisfy you as you are waiding fer me ta le' ya in on my secret :) One of my best friend knows already :P






7 comments:
Thums up fer Mishygin! i's tha bess place ta live!
I <3 MI !
Ha ha! I'm from Australia, so you'd probably think the way we talk is weird and I'm reading this post and thinking that the way you guys talk is weird at times. . .
We've got some unique Aussie terms, such as 'she'll be right,' meaning 'it'll be ok' or something like that. We also sometime tend to use the feminine pronoun 'she' for pretty much everything! Also 'fair dinkum' basicly means 'that's right' or 'it really is' and then you'll have another expression for don't worry, 'no worries, mate!'
Very informative post, made me think about the way we speak.
Blessings,
Hannah of Queensland, Australia
Oh, forgot to add one thing. If you come over to Aus, you'll probably hear us say 'togs' or 'cozzies' meaning a swimsuit! And, 'bring a plate' is another famous saying meaning, 'bring some food to share'!
By the way, just found your blog while bloghopping. Looks great.
Hannah
I've been across the bridge (also refereed to as the Big Mac). Once I even kept my eyes open most of the way.
Nice pos Hannah I always knew we toched difrent but di noh know it was strictly a michigan acksen till I looked up fudgies an fown thah websih abouh the way we toch I have crossed The Bridge many times. And I like watching the sunseh on The Lake. The lighthouse is South Haven light or to say it in MI say ligh no T.
~David
1st off Hannah, the post was great! Most of that stuff I didn't know. But the funniest part {I think} is all the comments. Especially David's and Grace's! :D
Interesting post and beautiful pictures! Haha the word "Howzit" is used a lot in SA. :-D
Love
~Jess
Post a Comment