People Who Enjoy Reading My Blog--do you?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What is Nålbinding?

I'm sure I have all of you wondering now!

Nålbinding:


It is a technique for constructing fabric that predates knitting. Instead of knitting needles, nålbinding is performed with a single needle. The structure of the fabric looks very much like knitting.


It does not look exactly like knitting or crocheting. It is very unique and I like it alot.

One of our friends from the market's son does Nålbinding and he showed Grace how to do it this past Saturday. He makes the needles so we bartered some of our products with his mother for a needle for Grace. I thought it would be really fun to make a needle so today I gave it a try! The needle Grace has is made from ironwood and he burned it before sanding it so it would be smoother and stronger. I asked some of my family memebers to take pictures of me making the needle. So here you go.

First we have me before going out.

There are no pictures of what was done next so picture this in your head.

I'm walking in the woods. Nathanael told me I could not use any wood from the only ironwood tree we have on our property since we have only one. I was not even sure where it was in the woods. So I was thinking I would have to walk way out to the the forest behind our property. I am heading out in that direction still in our woods when I glance to my right and see a tree with shaggy bark-- an ironwood tree. Our ironwood tree. Ah ha! I found it! I look up and see a dead branch. Too high for me to reach but "I think I could saw it off if I used a ladder!"

So I went up above the CTB kitchen and got the stepladder only to find out Daddy was using it. I put it back and went in search of our other one. Nathanael informed me it was in the back of the barn. I picked up the ladder and the orange bow saw and trooped out to the woods. In about five minutes I had the branch down. It is about 6 inches around and very long. I dragged it up to the house along with the ladder and saw although I dropped the ladder off at the CTB kitchen. I cut of a smaller piece of the branch and then split it up into narrower pieces using the ax. A hatchet would have worked better but David's got busted when they were felling a tree last year. After I got a piece that looked about the right size to me I went in by the wood stove and started carving. This is where I'll pick up with the pictures.

I started out with Daddy's pocket knife but ironwood is very hard wood and this knife was a little dull. I could not find the sharpener so,

Enoch suggested using a utility knife which worked much better.

Starting to look like a needle!


After a bit more carving I am ready to burn it!

Let me tell you. . . all through out doing this I am thinking am I doing this right?

This was my first time making a Nålbinding needle and I still am wondering if what I made

will work :D


Sticking it in the fire. . .


It's burning! At this point there were more than one pair of eyes watching me and I was getting frustrated. If I am doing something for the first time and everyone wants to watch because "it's so interesting!!" I get upset easy. That's something that should not get me upset, and I have been asking

God to help me :)


burnt.


Then I cut it off of the bigger piece of wood


Time to sand it!


My hands got very black. my right hand especially.

A bit more carving. With the red knife this time.


I drilled a tiny hole in it.


Is it done now?

Doesn't look like what I wanted it too.

But I'll try again. Hopefully tomorrow.

I think mine is too think, and too short. The point of it is ugly. But it is a first and Mama and Grace think I did a great job on it. I know what I'll do differently next time. I'm learning by trial and error! I think I could do Nålbinding with the needle I made, but I want to get better at making them. Grace is making something really nice with her needle, but I think she wants to do a post on that sometime soon :)

Good Night!

8 comments:

Johanna said...

I awarded you Hannah!

Cora Beth said...

That is really interesting Hannah! I've never heard of it and look forward to seeing what the end result is... I think you did very well on the needle for having no instructions or pattern! I hope your next one turns out how you want it to. :)

It's cold there too? It's supposed to warm up here this weekend, but until then, I guess I'll do the onion planting in my parka. :)

I'd best get some sleep...
Love you (and please give a hug to Grace for me.)
~Cora Beth

Cora said...

That's gorgeous! I'm totally making one of those now! (well, after I finish Shibori-tying some cloth to dye, knit an afghan, finish a rug...)

I did know what Nålbinding was but didn't know the name of it!

Blessings,
Cora

Lindsay said...

Hey Hannah!
I just wanted to let you know that I've given you the "Pure in Heart" award on my blog. You can check my latest post to see it, okay? :)

~ Love,
Lindsay

MIgirls said...

Hannah,
You are a very ambitious young lady! To create a needle out of a piece of wood that was just IN the woods...that boggles my mind! Keep at it! Can't wait to see where this new interest takes you!
Blessings,
Mrs. T

YahKheena said...

Hannah~
How wonderful to be able to identify the right tree, that in itself it to be commended, so many your people have no idea how to identify trees or flower in their own town. I think your parents have done a great job in raising you and your siblings! Truely you are of more value than rubies. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing your next needle.

YahKheena

Anonymous said...

Thank you Hannah for leaving such a
nice comment on my blog.


From AbbiYah

Jessica Rebekah said...

Wow, this was a very interesting post! Thanks for explaining what a Nålbinding! =D Besides I think you did a great job, making your own needle, I couldn't do a better one myself.

Love
in Christ
~Jess