Yesterday we went downstate to help our friends butcher a little over 110 chickens. We had lots of fun working together to get the job done. Everything went really well and we got the chickens done in really quickly because there were so many people killing, scalding, plucking, gutting, rinsing,cooling, packaging, labeling, and putting them into the freezer. After cleaning up the butchering area, we all came inside and ate dinner and visited. Everybody who ate on the back porch got laughing so hard for a few minutes because Nik was being so funny. I think every time I see a "little cup" it's going to remind me of Nik ( I'm sure you will too Jenn!).
It was nice going thru Midland again and looking at things we used to see everyday. We did not drive past our old house because it would have been a bit out of the way.
Here are some pictures:
Here is the double-decker bus that Mama, R, David and Grace rode on years ago.
I had not been down that way in a long time. It is amazing the way the scenery changes the further south we went. We could see really far because there were no big hills all covered with trees! It was neat. This is a picture of a chemical plant, there is an overlook by it, but we did not have time to stop and look around, but we enjoyed looking thru our windows!
Here are more scenery pictures...
a nice looking farm sign...
and a produce stand...
farm house...we had fun waving hi to the curious onlookers who were peeking thru the windows!
a garden and a big red barn... and a eight sided yurt? or goat barn?
David and Rachel slaughter the birds...

and then give them to Daddy and Mr.T. who scald them to loosen the feathers so that way they come off when...

Mr.J. plucks them...

Allison or Nik would carry the featherless chickens to Enoch and/or Nathanael who cut of the feet...E/N would slide the bird down to Micah and Bridgett who chopped off the heads and loosened the crop...the bird would then either go to Miranda,Gabbi,Josie,Grace or I and we would gut them out and give them to Jenn who rinsed the bird and took it into...

...the garage where Nik helped out the...

Moms to packaged them up and put them in the freezer!

Then we all came in and ate dinner together...

There was a really fun huge double seater swing and Mr. T. would push us really fast. It was soooo fun!!!!!

When we got home the animals were out. Overall, it was a fun day!
3 comments:
I had a great time!! I saw a "little cup" this morning and I couldn't help but smile. :-)
~Jenn
I love that picture of Nathanel:-)
Hannah,
We were so thrilled to have you all come Sunday afternoon to help us and then visit! It's been so long since we've seen everybody. Thanks again for ALL of your/your family's help with our chickens! Tell everybody we said hi!
Hi Mrs T.
We had such a nice time with you too! I am so glad we were able to come down!
Post a Comment