I always wanted to be able to sew. The thing that always made me not want to though is because I know that if you want to sew good, you have to practice. Practicing means sewing alot. You can't sew without fabric, and fabric is not free. So whenever we acquired some nice fabric, I would never sew it because I was too scared to ruin it. Finally today, I decided to get some of my old dressed that don't fit me anymore, cut them up and try to make something out of them.
I am really excited because I think what I'm making is going to turn out!!! It is a skirt. I used my old denim dress and cut off the skirt. Then I got another of one of my old dresses that I had tried to make into a skirt a while back and it never really worked. The fabric is a dark blue calico with light blue and maroon flowers sprinkled on it. I am making a ruffle out of that to go on the bottom of the skirt. Then I am going to make some sort of a waist band to put at the top. I think it will make a really nice skirt for me to wear around the farm. Nothing real fancy, but something practical! At least I'm practicing! I hope to post some pictures tomorrow. . . I think I might work on the ruffle a bit more tonight :) I don't want to stop sewing on it because often I'll stop doing something and then I won't go back to it for a loooong time (if ever :)
Do you have any other easy sewing ideas for me? Preferably something wearable (not like a pillowcase :P I know how to sew those!!) Are any of my readers people who like to sew? Can you give a beginner a boost of encouragement??


4 comments:
Hi Hannah!
Congratulations on your skirt! I love sewing (but am really not an expert by any means) :-).
Right now actually I'm working on a jumper from Simplicity 3673 (View C) and am really enjoying the challenge of working with my fabric and sizing. :-D
Anyhow, back to your dilemma...
I would suggest sewing some simple A-line skirts (skirts with a gathered waist (elastic or pleated) that are shaped like the letter "A"), or even some tired skirts. They are really simple to make and very pretty to wear!
Also as you live up north making a scarf with really come in handy. You could even make some spring scarfs out of frilly fabric (it can really dress up a pretty outfit.)Another advantage would be the simplicity of the project: two long narrow strips of fabric sewn together, insided out, and then hand-stitched closed in an inconspicuous area.
Another project you might wish to consider would be a purse (made out of perhaps your jean dress top) :-) It would really look cute with your skirt as it matched. :-D
Jumpers and dresses (depending on the style) can be really fun to make and wear. Shana just purchased a modest jumper pattern online. :-) She can't wait to make and wear it!
Simple shirts, blouses, etc can also look nice with your homemade skirts and jumpers! :-) Just make sure the pattern isn't too complicated or else you'll end up with more than you bargained for and probably (like I've done) set it aside to accumulate dust along. :-D
Hair ribbons, bow ties and hat ribbons are also really fun and easy projects to work on! And they can really spruce up an outfit especially for spring weather! You might even want to consider making some fabric flowers to decorate hats, shirts, skirts, purses, etc. The possibilities are endless and you don't always have to purchase a pattern. Many times blogs and crafting websites have online tutorials for beginners. :-)
I hope this gives you some ideas for sewing projects. :-) I can't wait to see what else you sew! Please post pictures!
Blessings,
Addie
Hannah F~
I do like to sew, but can't say that I've actually done a lot of it. I've made a nightgown and robe; 4 dresses; a skirt; a petticoat; aprons; head coverings; bonnets; neck-ties; hair bows; several pillowcases; handkerchiefs; and bean-bags, plus some other things, I'm sure. :) One thing I've been thinking of doing (that some friends of mine have done) is to take a skirt that has slits on the sides and take some matching fabric, cutting it in a tear-drop shape, and sewing it into where the slits are--making a modest skirt that you can walk in... :)
I look forward to seeing what you've come up with with that skirt and want to encourage you to just use your imagination and have fun!
Happy sewing~
Cora
Hi Hannah,
I'm so glad you decided to sew something! Yay!! =) About the iheartfaces linky... it does come up for me, but it looks like they might be having some trouble with it. Maybe you can check back later. Those things can be so unpredictable! =D
~ Love,
Lindsay
Hannah,
One of my favorite (and most useful it seems)things to make are aprons!! They are usually very nice and can be make with as little or as much material as needed!
Here's some of my favorite online patterns...
http://sewing.about.com/od/aprons/ss/oneyardapron2.htm
http://sewing.about.com/od/aprons/ss/tieapronwithpleats.htm
http://sewing.about.com/od/aprons/ss/retroruffleapron.htm
If you still want more patterns for other things besides aprons, I can give you that, too!
Post a Comment