People Who Enjoy Reading My Blog--do you?

Monday, April 19, 2010

Rhubarb Gardening

On friday Daddy asked me to clear the grass out of the rhubarb gardens and get them all cleared up like. I did not work on them at all over the weekend, but I started up again today. Here is a before picture I took of on of the gardens on friday:
:
You can see the second garden in the background. Below is a "during picture", but I have not gotten a "finished" picture yet because I still want put some little sticks and rocks around the edge of the garden. The second garden still be all full of grass and such, but I plan to get it out of there tomorrow also.
When I was getting ready to do this post I sort of felt like posting a poem so I google this "poem on rhubarb" this was the first poem I found and I thought I'd share it :)


"Put some dung upon your rhubarb

Watch it shoot into the sky

Fertilize your prize tomatoes

See the trusses hanging high

Compost is a fine addition

When your soil is lacking clout

Helps the seeds turn into plantlets

Growth is healthy there's no doubt.

It's the same when we are Christians

Need some substance in our food

Daily meetings with The Father

Help to get us in the mood

Meditating on the Bible

Shows us where we need to go

Be connected to the vine tree

Awesome fruit will surely grow."


The During Picture:

I so much enjoy working outside!! The garden looks really nice now with all the imposing grass taken away. The poor plants; the lawn just crept in on them and was choking them! I used a little trowel and carefully chopped the sod up and then shook out all the dirt from the roots. After all the grass was taken up and all the sticks and leaves cleared away I fluffed up the soil and added some chicken manure that had some straw mixed in with it. There is an elderly lady who lives right near the log home where we used to live. She has the loveliest rhubarb patch I have ever seen. She uses chicken manure on it and she said that is what helps it grow so well. So I am trying it out. . . we'll see how it goes! I hope it goes well as I do so love rhubarb! Do any of my readers like rhubarb too? What it your favorite way to eat it? Plain? Dipped in a sweetener? In pie? I personally like it plain or dipped in honey sometimes we dip it in sugar if we don't have honey or something but I really don't like white sugar at all. I also like rhubarb sauce!! Oh yum! We make it all the time during rhubarb season. Mama's is exceptionally good! Oh and add some strawberries and you have some summer for you right there! Well I want to get to bed early (?) tonight so I can get up early tomorrow and get breakfast on the earlier than normal because David and Daddy need to go to a farm kind of early to pick up. . . well I think David will want to write about that on his blog tomorrow so I will direct you all over there: http://djamesflaugher.blogspot.com

Well I'll Bee off to Zzzzzzzzzz. . .!

(clue! catch it?)

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh... how neat, Hannah!! I've actually never had rhubarb before! I can't believe that.... it sounds really good! :)

Jennifer said...

Love the poem! We also have rhubarb coming up in our garden!

~Jenn

Mia said...

Hi Hannah! Your rhubarb is making my mouth water! Mmm... well, our family, at least Mommy and I, like our rhubarb baked in crisps usually with strawberries! :)

May Yahweh bless you!
Shana

Cora Beth said...

Dear Hannah~

I haven't checked our rhubarb patch lately, but I imagine it's getting going too. Hooray! :) I don't care for rhubarb raw, but we all LOVE it made into rhubarb sauce (for ontop of pancakes) or rhubarb pie or cake or muffins or bread...
I can hardly wait to cut the first stalks! I'm so glad it's spring.

Sweet dreams and meet you in nod-ville. :)

Cora