Just got back from the "Strawberry social"! Ha! That is practically what it is out there in the field :) Now that we have been there a couple days we have gotten to know the other workers and the overseers as well. The two overseers names are Rex and Lori. Then there is maybe 15 other workers but they don't always come every day. There is Patty, Candy, Nora, Steve, Earl, Brendan, Becca, Meeah, Nicole, Joshua, and a few others (I don't know all their names). We have to keep each other in good spirits so there is alot of laughing about certain remarks. It was funny, there is one person who was listing to his ipod and he past the path where we were supposed to stop picking. Everyone was trying to call him but he couldn't hear nobody so they started throwing rotten berries at him. We were all laughing SO hard! But that's what you gotta do when you are working hard picking berries :) you gotta laugh! I picked more than I did yesterday so that was an improvement. Nathanael is a wonder picker. He did 5 flats!! Altogether our family picked 38 flats, yesterday we picked 30. We may or may not go back tomorrow depending on if it rains.
Now for my the recipe that a couple of you said you would like me to post. . .
~The Yummy Chicken that Hannah makes~
One whole chicken cut into pieces (legs, thighs, wings ect)
Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and set them in a bowl or on a plate.
Take a cast iron pan and pour about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in it. Set on high heat and heat the oil until the it is smoking. Place the chicken pieces skin-side down into the pan. Be careful because the oil is hot and it can splatter. Turn the heat down to medium and let the chicken cook in the pan until it is crispy brown but not burnt (maybe 3 minutes. . . more or less). Flip the chicken and do the same thing on the other side. It will probably go faster than the first time. Remove the chicken, set it on a plate and take the oil off the heat.
Slice a large onion or two medium ones into 1/2 inch round slices and set a side.
In a small bowl mix together:
1/2 cup white wine
3 tablespoon brown mustard
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Get the pan you cooked the chicken in. It should still have some oil in it, if for some reason it does not, add just a bit more (a couple teaspoons). Place the pan back on high heat and get the oil hot. When it is nice and very hot carefully set the onion slices in the pan. Let them cook there for a couple minutes until they start getting brown flip the over carefully. Cook on the other side for a little while. The pan should be getting pretty hot and it is okay if the onions are sticking a little bit. Pour the wine mixture quickly into the hot pan so it can deglaze the pan and get all the good stuff and flavors out into the onions :)
Turn the heat down and set the seared chicken pieces on top of the onion slices.
Cover the pan and turn the heat to low. Let it cook slowly until the chicken is cooked through (about 30 minutes). You can let it go longer if you want the sauce to be thicker. Eat and Enjoy!
I hope this will work out for you. I do my recipes by taste and how it looks so I am just guessing all the proportions. Let me know if you make it :) I wish I would have got a picture of when I made it last but I didn't :)

3 comments:
The chicken sounds really good! I smiled when I read that you warm the olive oil up until it smokes. :) (I get nervous when I heat up olive oil to high temperatures...)
You must be having fun picking berries, although I'm guessing that pretty soon you'll be tired of eating them?
Sleep well~
Love,
Cora
PS. The word verification word tonight is: "pownsh" :)
38 flats of Strawberries, wow that's a lot! :-D Enjoy eating them. LOL
Your chicken recipe sounds really good! We're having chicken for supper tonight - I would like to try this, sounds very yummy! :-D
Love
in Christ
~Jess
Hannah, thanks for the recipe!!! It looks SO yummy!! I can't wait to try it...I think I have some chicken to bake... :-)
Post a Comment