People Who Enjoy Reading My Blog--do you?

Monday, June 28, 2010

Of Sticks and Strings. . .

I made a hat!

Yes, today I felt like knitting so I found some yarn from our sheep, beautiful grey yarn-- I like grey! I have started many knitting projects and have not finished them. I have finished a scarf before. I have a hard time following knitting patterns I know some of the abbreviations but not all of them. If a pattern said to do this:

Row 1: *k1, p2, sl 1, k1, rept from * to last stitch, k1.

I could do that easy. But when they get like this:

Head
CO 6 stitches. Distribute among 3 needles (you can use 4 needles if you prefer, once you have enough stitches) and join for knitting in the round. PM.
Round 1: K all sts.
Round 2: Kfb into each st. (12 sts)
Round 3: K all sts.
Round 4: Kfb, k1, kfb, k1, kfb, kfb, k1, kfb, k1, kfb, k2 (18 sts)
Round 5: K all sts.
Round 6: *Kfb, k2*, rep 5 times (24 sts)
Round 7: K all sts.
Round 8: Kfb, k3, kfb, k3, kfb, k4, kfb, k3, kfb, k3, kfb, k2 (30 sts)
Round 9: K all sts.
Round 10: Kfb, k4, kfb, k4, kfb, k6, kfb, k4, kfb, k4, kfb, k2 (36 sts)
Round 11: K all sts.
Round 12: Kfb, k5, kfb, k5, kfb, k8, kfb, k5, kfb, k5, kfb, k2 (42 sts)
Rounds 13-17: K all sts.
Round 18: ssk, k5, ssk, k5, ssk, k8, k2tog, k5, k2tog, k5, k2tog, k2 (36 sts)
Round 19: K all sts.
Round 20: ssk, k4, ssk, k4, ssk, k6, k2tog, k4, k2tog, k4, k2tog, k2 (30 sts)
Round 21: K all sts.
Round 22: ssk, k3, ssk, k3, ssk, k4, k2tog, k3, k2tog, k3, k2tog, k2 (24 sts)
Round 23: K all sts.
Round 24: *ssk, k2*, rep 2 times; *k2tog, k2*, rep 2 times (18 sts)
Round 25: K all sts.
Now’s the time to embroider the eyes, while there’s still room to move your fingers around inside the head. I used satin-stitch rectangles for the eyes, but feel free to make the eyes another way if you wish (beads or buttons would work if you’re not concerned about a choking hazard). If you would rather wait to place the eyes until the ant is completed and you’re certain where they need to go, the eyes can easily enough be done at the very end.
Now, stuff the head so it is firm but still squeezable.
Round 26: ssk, k1, ssk, k1, ssk, k2tog, k1, k2tog, k1, k2tog, k2 (12 sts)
Round 27: K all sts.


I get all boooggggglllleeedddd. (by the way if you understand the above and do what it says you should get an ant. At least to my understanding!!3)

So, I'm betta off just knitting on my own. No pattern.
That's what I did! I cast on in a round to my best understanding of how. It was not perfect but it worked! I knit and knit all day determined NOT to give up. I totally surprised everyone at the end of the day with A HAT! That no, did not turn out exactly like I thought it would but it is fine! Mama did not know that I was making it at all- I kept it a surprise :) She was the most surprised. Nathanael goes "You finished it?" "Yes, I did."

Now I'm sure you would like pictures of my hat?


It kind of fits like a beanie on me, and I think it would look better on a child.


Now, you need to tell me what YOU think of it!

Speaking of knitting I just found a site a couple minutes ago that seems like a nice site!
Here is think link:


7 comments:

Trusting in Jesus said...

I love that hat, girl!!!! I want it!! lol XD, your such a great knitter. I totally am not good at knitting. I can do it, but like my hat looks awful! lol

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
I was surprised alot, because you didn't follow a pattern, and I, as you know, always do! If you keep that up, you will learn alot more about knitting construction. I would use patterns though to learn new constructions and then use them in your "free knitting" (i,e knitting without a pattern), in this way you train your brain to not rely on the pattern but only use them for adding new things... I think this is what your sister has learned to do so well with her knitting. This is such a sweet hat and like you I enjoy working with the natural grey. I hope you challenge yourself with another hat and do something different in it to learn some new knitting pattern or design. I went to the site you suggested and found this simple mat- it may work well to go with Daddy's new bathroom he is putting in... you may want to view it too:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/yp-bathMat.html?r=1
Mama

Jennifer said...

WOW so pretty! I can never get myself to finish a knitting project... that's why I don't do it alot! Ha ha
So good job for finishing it!!!

~Jenn

megan kristine said...

It's SOOOO pretty!!! :)

I have to same problem... only with crocheting. I don't think I've ever finished a project from a pattern... but I'm really good at creating things off the top of my head! :)

~Megan <3

Cora Beth said...

Great work Hannah!
I'm sorry I haven't been commenting lately, but the good old summertime is just too lovely that I don't spend a lot of time on the computer during it. :) I'm sure you know what I mean....
How is your dear doggie doing? Teasel it is, right?
I'd best get to sleep.
Take care,
Cora

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Hannah! Lovely! Knitting things never work out for me, so I stick with sewing! I love the color gray you used!

Rachel Grace said...

Congratulations on finishing the hat Hannah! I agree it is VERY hard to perservere and finish a knitting or crocheting project... I have so many half done projects that I feel really guilty about not finishing. Oh, well!
The hat is very pretty though! I agree the gray is nice and natural looking.
Happy hugs!
Rachel Grace