Saturday:
Grace, Mama, and I went with my eldest sister and my youngest nephew to a baby shower that someone was hosting for our friend. It was alot of fun and I don't know why I did not bring Gerty (my camera named after a favorite book character) along. The food was yummy, especially the cake. It was the best cake I have ever had. It was hardly sweet at all but it was so fluffy and cloud-like with a gentle sweetness to it. It was the same cake that Lyndsay (the mother the shower was for) had at her wedding. She said she thinks that is what they eat in heaven. . . in other words, it was really good!
The games were fun. my favorite game was making a maternity dress out of two rolls of toilet paper and a roll of tape. Yeah. That is what I wished I brought my camera for. It was hilarious!! There were two teams and no peaking at each other was allowed. We used the two pregnant ladies present for our models. I can't explain the dresses, but they were very funny! The one I worked on with my sister, mother and some other ladies was almost like a fancy apron complete with ruffles and a little ruffly cap to top it off.
We (Grace and I) went to my sister's house on the way back from the shower and we stayed there until 1:00 in the morning babysitting our nephews. Well, the nephews had already gone to bed by then! My sister and brother in law were at a birthday party for a friend of ours.
Got 110 gallons of sap.
Sunday:
Was a baking day! Our brand new stainless steel electric oven that was under five years old quit on us. Yeah, just like that. Quit. So, We are going to have a baking day once maybe twice a week on our clay oven. It takes five hours for the oven to heat up and be ready to bake so it's not like we would want to bake on it every day. Grace baked 9 loves of bread and 4 pies. Nathanael baked a batch of chocolate cookies. Enoch made an angel food cake. And I made biscuits for dinner. Here is a picture of all of us and our baked goods:
For more pictures, go to Grace's blog.
Also, Grace and I called our blogger friend Cora and sang happy birthday to her. That was alot of fun to do!
Today, Monday:
Here are some sap and syrup pictures for you!
We collected again this evening and got another 110 gallon of sap.
The sugar house or "the sugar palace" as our friends call it!!
The boiler. Sorry it is so blurry. The batteries are continually dying on my camera and I just take a few pictures between it turning off. I had no time to fiddle with the lighting on this one!
This one too. We have made 10 quarts of syrup so far.
Until next time!








5 comments:
I've always wanted to help make maple syrup! Looks like a wonderful time!
Thanks for the link to Laura's blog too.
SOLI DEO GLORIA!
-Kyrie<><
Thank you so much for the pictures of your sap/syrup project!!! I think it's true that a picture is worth a thousand words--or at least, 500 words. :)
Do you sell your syrup, or is it so valuable that you save it for your own use? I'm sure it's really good--and would maybe even make that "Heavenly cake" taste a might more heavenly? :)
I really enjoyed reading this post Hannah!
Sweet dreams and big hugs to you~
Cora
(I'm still smiling about what you said about calling me.....! :) Thanks so much for getting the courage to!!!!)
Wow, it looks like you had a lot of fun Hannah! All of your baked goods look great, it must be hard not having a regular oven to cook with :). But you seem to be making out fine!
Love you my sis' in Christ!
Rachel Grace
Do not worry about my b-day gift... I completely understand!
Wow! That's a lot of syrup! :-)
~Jenn
Sounds like you had a really nice time at the baby shower! :D
Oh, dear - sorry to hear that your oven packed-up. Goodness, five hours to heat up your clay oven, one has to be very patient to wait that long! LOL :P Though maybe its slow, everything you baked looks so good! Wow that sure is a lot of sap/syrup! You and your family seem very self-sufficient! :)
Love
~> Jess
Post a Comment