A Rose hip!
(from our rosa ragosa rose bush)
Stephanie, Cora Beth and Mary C. Guessed Correctly.
I understand that some of you may not live in an area where rose hips grow, so you may be wondering "What is a rose hip?"
The rose hip and rose haw, is the pomaceous fruit of the rose plant, that typically is red-to-orange, but might be dark purple-to-black in some species. Contrary to the fairly common myth, rosehips are not poisonous. Rose hips begin to form in spring, and ripen in late summer through autumn.
Rose hips have many health benefits including being very high in vitamin C. They don't have a bad flavor at all. Actually they have a nice flavor! Here is something I found online about their taste and this is how I would describe it too:
Their taste is sort of tangy, like hibiscus. If you've ever had Red Zinger tea, it's along that line.
I hope you all enjoyed this and are looking forward to next Wednesday!
I am thinking of something that I could do that everyone knows about no matter where they live (like the apple, but a bit harder). How does that sound? Fun?

6 comments:
Well I sure didn't know that question! Hope you are having a great day.
Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for letting us know what the picture was.
Many blessings,
Maggie
www.behindtheteenscene.blogspot.com
That's funny... I hadn't ever heard of a rose hip before! Now I've learned something new. :D ...Can't wait for next week! ;)
Blessings,
~Taylor
Hey Hannah! It's been a couple of days since I've had time to 'visit' you, and it looks like you've been busy since I last visited ;) !
So you really CAN eat rose hips! I'd always wondered - I've heard different oppinions, and I'm glad now to know! Could you maybe do a 'related post' telling how to prepare them properly so they can be eaten? I'd love to know, and maybe there are other 'farm girls' (or boys too) who don't know but would like to.
Take care my friend - Merry CHRISTmas!
SOLI DEO GLORIA!
-Kyrie<><
A rose hip! LOL, I never thought of that! It so much looked like a tomato!
It was fun anyway, and I'm looking forward to the one next Wednesday!
In Christ
~Jessica
Hannah,
I didn't know that!! Interesting!
Yes, can't wait!!! Spunds great!
Mary C.
Post a Comment