A Petoskey stone is a rock and a fossil, often pebble-shaped, that is composed of a fossilized coral, Hexagonaria percarinata. The stones were formed as a result of glaciation, in which sheets of ice plucked stones from the bedrock, grinding off their rough edges and depositing them in the northwestern portion of Michigan's lower peninsula.The name comes from an Ottawa Indian Chief, Chief Pet-O-Sega. The city of Petoskey, Michigan, is also named after him, and is the center of the area where the stones are found. The stones are commonly found on beaches and in sand dunes. Stones can be found on various beaches in Northern Michigan with many of the most popular being those surrounding Petoskey and Charlevoix. Similar fossil corals occur in a variety of locations, however the name Petoskey stone should only be applied to those from Northern Michigan which exhibit a six-walled coral structure.
I live right in the area where petoskeys are found. They are always a treasure though when we find them. Some the patterns do not show up on them as well as others. I like to rub them with oil to make them look wet and make the pattern more visible. Around here, people polish petoskeys and sell them. They are very expensive. Especially if they are a extra large one, put on jewelry, or made into a heart or a MI mitten...ect.
Also, I want to let you know, that you are welcome to take a mystery picture, email it to me with the answer, and I will consider using it for a Wednesday Mystery Photo post!! Click here to email me.
I am looking forward to seeing any pictures you send me!!

3 comments:
I hadn't ever heard of that kind of stone before, but that doesn't bother me! I love learning new things and finding out what the picture really is... so don't feel bad about excluding me or anything! I think it's fun!! :) I love how you include the definition of the object in a paragraph too. ...So thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
~Taylor
I've never heard of it, and I don't live in MI, but it was really cool to see. This is fun! I also loved the definition you gave. However, I wasn't able to see the pictures in this post. They were just boxes with x's in them. Keep up the good work!
~Stephanie
I've never heard of a Petoskey rock, it was interesting to learn about it !:D I like learning new things too!
I'm looking forward to the next Wednesday post! :D
By the way I voted on your second poll, I voted for the second one! :D
Post a Comment