People Who Enjoy Reading My Blog--do you?

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wow! How time does fly... December already!

~A lovely picture I found~

Today I washed all our windows (not the upstairs) in the except 4. I also helped Mama and Grace with dinner and got the house cleaned. We had our neighbor over for venison dinner. No, my brother did not get a deer. Our neighbor kindly shared some with us. Rifle season is over and now my brother can only go out with a bow. He was so busy the two weeks of rifle season processing deer for other hunters that he only went out several times. For desert, we had the coffeecakes I made yesterday and some stollen bread (the kind with candied fruit in it). I also made yummy eggnog!
Here is the recipe if you would like to make it!


6 fresh eggs

1 cup granulated sugar, divided use

2 cups heavy cream

2 cups milk

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

*see note*

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Freshly grated nutmeg for sprinkling

-----------------------------------------------

In large bowl, beat whites until fluffy; add 1/2 cup sugar.

In an another larger bowl beat yolks until creamy; add 1/2 cup sugar. Fold egg whites into beaten yolks. Carefully stir in the cream, milk and nutmeg. Pour into a large punch bowl.

To serve, ladle into cups and sprinkle top with nutmeg, as desired

*I add a tablespoon of rum for flavoring at this point. It gives a wonderful eggnog flavor! You can buy rum flavoring if you prefer that better.*

Enjoy!


-------------------------------------------

Grab my button and put it on your blog, if you would like!

Click here to get to Libby's website to see more of what she does!


10 comments:

Taylor said...

Oh, and I love your button! I'll go add it to my blog right now! :)

Taylor said...

That is a pretty picture you found. :)

The eggnog recipe sounds good! I just might have to try it out sometime. Thanks for posting it!

~Taylor

Anna Joy said...

Mm I used to make eggnog all the time. Haven't in awhile though. How did you make that blog button? That is so cool!! I've thought of doing something like that for my blog but I'm not smart enough.

Hannah said...

Oh you should try it sometime Taylor! It'll be a favorite! Thanks for getting my blog button on your blog!

Hannah said...

You should make some this fall Anna!
I did not make my blog button, no, I am not that smart either! :) Another blogger Libby, made it for me. She does blog designs for people. I am sure she would love to do one for you. Her designs are free. She also makes custom blinkies.
Here is her blog address:
rosieblogdesigns.blogspot.com

Kyrie said...

Hey Hannah!

Sounds like you are staying busy as usual! :)

Um, I was dissapointed to read about the rum in the eggnog...
Rum is a type of beer, and the Bible tells us that beer/liquor is harmful to our bodies, and that our bodies are His temple. He tells us to keep our bodies as a "living sacrifice" for Him. Maybe I just missunderstood...?
Anyway, I'd like to hear your views on it!

Hey, I love the snow flakes falling on your blog! Can you tell me how you did that? It's so neat!

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

Your friend,

-Kyrie<><

Hannah said...

Thanks or the comment Kyrie!
We only use rum in cooking or baking. Real vanilla has 35% alcohol in it and so does rum. So, if you put in just a couple tablespoons in to a large quantity of milk/egg it is diluted so much that does not really have any alcohol in the eggnog. I know some eggnog recipes call for alot of rum. I would never put any more rum in a recipe than I would vanilla. Do you use vanilla in cooking?
Thanks for sharing your concern. I hope what I explained makes sense.

I'll post the code for you to get snow on your blog because for some reason I can't get it to work in a comment!!

SOLI DEO GLORIA!!
<3Hannah

Kyrie said...

Thanks for explaining Hannah! I'm glad to know that. We make the Amish friendship bread all the time, and I guess technically that is fermented, but we bake it, and supposedly that removes any alcohol in it. Guess I'd just need to study that out for myself... I love learning new things anyway :) ! Oh, and yes, we use vanilla, but we usually get vanilla extract, because the real stuff is so expensive!

And thanks for the link to the snow! I changed my blog and love the Christmas "feel"! I got the background from Libby's website by following the link in your post about your blog button! :) Oh by the way, how come did you change your blog name :"/ ? I thought "Stepping Heavenward" was so nice, 'cause anyone who's read that book knows right where you're coming from, and that you believe in the godly principles expressed in the book - that's how I was attrachted to your blog in the first place :) ! But it is your blog, after all, and you can do what you please ;D!

Keep warm! ;)

SDG!

Your friend,

-Kyrie<><

Anonymous said...

This is great egg nog!
Make sure you find out if your friends have made it yet. Keep em' on the task or they will regret it.
Mama

Hannah said...

Oh you do Kyrie? I love to bake bread!
We make natural leavened bread (sort of like sourdough) and it is a fermented bread.
I like how the new background looks on your blog!

I changed my blog name because I live in a 100+ year old farm house on a farm and our homestead is called the old Marilla Heights Farm. I like the name so much because it describes perfectly, the area that I live in!
So that is how i got "Hannah of Marilla Heights"!
SDG!
~Hannah